Vaccination against IBDV in hatcheries has become a common practice in poultry since the 90’. The vaccination is performed in-ovo or by subcutaneous injection on the hatch day before the chicks are being placed on farm within a potentially contaminated environment.
It has been demonstrated that IBD prevention at hatchery level can lead to a better vaccine coverage and an increase of the vaccination efficiency. However, there is a particular issue that should be taken into account in this practice:
How can the producers be sure that the chicks have been correctly vaccinated? In other words, how can the hatchery demonstrate that they have vaccinated according to the IBDV protocol?
SMART VACCINATION CONCEPT
To address this issue adequately, HIPRA has developed SMART VACCINATION, a completely new and revolutionary concept that helps hatchery managers to control, analyse and certificate their vaccination sessions.
This concept of SMART VACCINATION, that has been completely designed, developed and produced by HIPRA, brings together three interconnected elements: highly innovative vaccines, vaccination tools and vaccination management software.
- HIGHLY INNOVATIVE VACCINES: A vaccine that features an RFID chip attached to its label that contains all the information relating to the vaccine, such as:as its name, the number of doses, production batch, expiry date and individual identification code of the vial.
- VACCINATION TOOLS: A specific vaccine application device for the correct administration of the vaccine that provides precision throughout the vaccination process, low maintenance for the hatchery personnel and traceability of the vaccination process.
- VACCINATION MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE: HIPRAlink® Vaccination software that collects all the information on the vaccination process, generating traceability, and also serves as a management tool, for both, veterinarians and hatchery managers, leading to the planning, control and analysis of the vaccination process.
With SMART VACCINATION, all the vaccination data is automatically collected during the vaccination activity and can be shared with the producer in a total transparent manner.
Through SMART VACCINATION, then, the producer can be totally sure that chicks are vaccinated in the hatchery according to protocol for IBD prevention.
At the present time, the SMART VACCINATION concept is being revitalized with the launch of a new vaccine, GUMBOHATCH®, an innovative immune complex vaccine against Gumboro disease with unique IgY from eggs and specific controls to ensure the complete coating of the IBDV virus.
For GUMBOHATCH®, HIPRA has specifically developed a device for the subcutaneous administration of 0.2 ml with a high level of quality and precision throughout the entire process: Hipraject®.
Besides, HIPRAlink® Vaccination, the third element of the SMART VACCINATION concept, has also been adapted to record all the vaccination data generated by Hipraject®, providing traceability and control for the entire vaccination process. It also helps veterinarians and hatchery managers to manage, analyse and certify their own vaccination activity:
- Management: Veterinarians or Hatchery Managers can easily check the GUMBOHATCH® vaccination data for each session: date and time, number of doses, number of chicks, information on the product, speed of the session, farm etc. The vaccination data are recorded automatically and are objective, transparent and reliable.
- Analysis: HIPRAlink® Vaccination can generate vaccination reports for GUMBOHATCH® to facilitate the analysis of data. In addition, the App shows statistical data in graph form (e.g. trend in the number of doses).
- Traceability: The user is able to generate traceability reports for GUMBOHATCH® that can be shared directly with the recipient company via HIPRAlink® Vaccination.
Example of traceability report
Thanks to the concept of SMART VACCINATION and Hipraject®, HIPRA ensures the optimal subcutaneous administration of its new immune complex vaccine against Gumboro disease, GUMBOHATCH®.